Monday, October 24, 2011

CSA


Since I was taking the weekend off from training to let various things heal it was the perfect time to go and get my flu shot. Friday evening I did that. Slept in both Saturday and Sunday and my only working out was yoga class both days. I also made it a top priority to spend as much time as possible treating my saddle sore. The good news is that it is shrinking! The bad news is I  miss my bikes! However, my knee actually feels like it is healing up which is exciting. So imp going to take a few more days off the bike and see how it goes. Its going to be a swim and yoga intensive couple of weeks as well as some bodyweight CrossFit wods.

Monday – warm-up 200 Swim, 200 kick, 200 pull, 100 swim, 100 kick, 100 pull,  then 1,000 as 50 hard, 50 easy. I have to say I did the 50 hard really hard and the 50 easy pretty 50 as I was smoked from the 50 hard. Over all a great workout. It took me 19:40 to do it. Then 100 to cool down. That felt like too short of a cool down but I had errands to do before work so I went with it.

Yoga  -  took a Sivananda class which is a more traditional hatha yoga class. I got my headstand back! It’s been awhile but its fun to be inverted!

Tuesday – swim – warmup 6 x 75  on 20 sec rest – 400, 300,200,100 on 20 sec rest. Then 2 x 300 with a negative split. Went 7.58.5.14.3.26.1.39 then 4.52 and 4.52.  Kevin joined me towards the end which helped me to keep the pace. cooldown 6 x 75 on 20 sec rest alternating between free and backstroke. Todays yoga class was in the yin style. Meaning you hold the positions for minute which can be challenging.  It is a deep stretch but I think I get more out of the vinyasa style classes. I was talking with another athlete that did Pocono mountain and he was telling me that you actually need more fitness to race a 70.3 than you do to finish an ironman. He main points were iron distance races are all about execution of your pacing and nutrition. NYC should be interested next year.

Wednesday – swim – warmup 400 swim, 300 kick, 200 pull then 4 x 400 incresing intensity from easy to hard with each 400 then 400 yds kick. Went 7.22, 7.15, 6.59, 6.54.  cooldown200 yeard freestyle, 200 years breaststroke.  Yoga class again this time a vinyasa class.

Thursday – 100 swim, 200 kick, 100 pull, then 10 x 200yards as 50 kick, 100 drill, 50 pull. On 30 seconds rest. This was a torture.  Drills went switch, catchup, fingertip drag, shark and hesitate for 2 sets.  200 backstroke to cooldown. Cf wod – well sorta, I hesitate to really call it that. 25 crunches alternating sides, 50 situps, 25 crunches alternating sides. I think it took me 3 minutes and change.

Friday – 300 swim, 200 kick, 100 pull, 100 swim, 200 kick, 300 pull.  2 x 250 swam as 100 moderate, 50 hard, 100 moderate on 30 sec rest. 4 x 150 as 50 moderate 50 hard, 50 moderate on 20 sec rest 4 x 100 as 20 moderate, 50 hard, 25 moderate on 10 sec rest. Then 200 yards as freestyle and 200 yards as breaststroke. Sorta corssfit wod – 10 rounds of 3chair dips, 5 pushups with feet on chair, 10 situps. The elevated pushups were tough! I haven’t done that kind of work in awhile.  I felt it during and after on those.

Saturday & Sunday – yoga classes.  Still treating the saddle sore so no bikey and also letting my knee heal up too. I picked up a new pair of goggles the aquasphere kayennes and I like them. Most comfortable and better visibility than my old speedo goggles.

Monday – 400 swim, 200 kick, 400 pull to warmup. Then 4 x 250 on 30 sec rest. Swim 100 moderate, 50 build (head up) 100 moderate. 1 minute rest. 2 x 500 on 1 min rest. Repeat the 250 with build head up.  Cooldown 300 as 100 breast, 100 back, 50 breast, 50 back. I forgot my watch so I don’t have swim times for today.  I was hitting the lap clock with consistent times. It is pretty exhausted to try to swim with your head up. I basically was doing it as a sighting drill where you push down in the water to try to sight up.  

In other new, I joined a CSA or community supported agriculture. This is where you buy a full or partial share into a farm and you get locally grown organic produce delivered to you each week. It is an excellent choice for many reasons. Health wise the best vegetables you can eat are those grown locally and organically. They retain more nutrients than those being picked before they are ripe and being flown half way across the world.  It is also a way to eat seasonally as people did many years ago when they ate what was fresh and canned/froze  extra harvest. Again another way to keep your food at its peak nutrient wise.  It’s not only better for you but better for the environment to eat locally and seasonally. And finally it is probably the cheapest way to get organic food.  You are cutting out the middle man and also cutting the transportation costs. Here is an example of that math and why it makes sense to go this way if it is available to you. I am doing a full share which is 9 – 11 different veggies every week. (think 1 lb spinach, 1 bunch of carrots, 2lb potatoes) for 22 weeks of the year. It is about 22.75 a week. The only catch is you have to pay for it upfront before you receive anything so it is a bit of an investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment