Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Drunken Butterfly




Tuesday

Tired getting up this morning but better once I got in the water. Warmup – 100 swim, 200 kick, 10 x 50 drills – switch, catch, fingertip drag, shark and hesitate for 2 rounds. Then 15 rounds of 100s on 2 minutes. I swam every 100 as 1:30 or slightly less.  I was happy with being able to keep that time through the entire workout. I didn’t get slower as I got tired but it did take more effort to keep meeting that pace at least mentally. Kevin showed up when I had 7 left so he did those with me which might have helped.  Cooldown 300 as 50 free, 50 back, 50 free, 50 breast, 50 free, 50 back.  

Yoga – kundalini class! This was my first time take a strict kundalini class. I’ve done some of their breathing technique before. This was good practice since your hold the asanas for minutes. It even had squats involved. Ok it was only 25 but we had to do them fast. My knee did ok with it. I probably only went to parallel on the depth. The series of postures was to work on back flexibility primarily. 

Wednesday

Swim – 300 warmup, 8x 75 pull. 300 kick,  1 x 300 easy, 3 x 75 fast on 30 sec rest, 1 x 75 easy, 20 sec rest, 2 x 75 fast, 30 sec rest, 1 x 75 easy, 20 sec rest, 1 x 75 fast 30 sec rest. Cooldown – was supposed to be 100 yards easy but I decided I wanted to start working on my butterfly technique.  I did 25 yards then took a break and did another 25 yards. My timing is off on the stroke so then I did a 100 of fly kick only stroking when I needed to breathe. I am going to work on it like that for a bit.  Why am I choosing to do this since I’ll never use fly for anything other than a warmup or cooldown. It is the most technically demanding stroke to swim. Meaning you can’t cheat the technique on it. You can not just use strength to get though it. It is the alsmot as fast as freestyle and when the technique is right easy like the breaststroke to do. If I can get the technique down for it it can only improve my body awareness and technique in the less demanding strokes.And of course let us not forget the sexyness factor is super high with it, nice shoulders!

 Yoga – vinyasa flow class tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment