Thursday, October 21, 2010

29 days in the zone

still a little sore today but much better than I was feeling yesterday. swim - 100 warmup then 5 x 100 of drills
100 - six beat switch
100 - catch up
100 - finger tip drag
100 - fist
100 - hand entry
followed by 5 x 50 yds on 10 seconds
1 - 46
2 - 48
3 - 48
4 - 48
5 - 48
then another round of the the 5 x 100 drills. this was the slowest ive probably every done my drills!

warmup pullups, pushups, negative dips, airsquats, squats 45 x 5, 65 x6, 95x5, 115x5, 135x1
cf wod - 3 rounds of 5 back squats @ 135 and 20 ring dip (negatives)
time - 5:41
Felt good with the weight that I choose for the back squat. I doubt I could have gone heavier and kept good form (depth). I don't have ring dips so I did a negative dip which consisted of me jumping up in the rings to full lockout then lowering myself as slow as I could to the bottom of the dip. Thought being I will gain more strength out of these than doing either dips were I assist with my foot to lower body weight or a box dip. This was a quick wod so I spent some time stretching and foam rolling.

here are the changes Ive seen since being on the Zone Diet for 29 days. I was going to assess after a full month but I am going to be away the next couple of days and I wanted to make sure it got done. It won't really change that much in 2 days. So far I have lost 6.2 pounds which is a 3.4% reduction in body fat. I gained .8lbs of muscle mass. I had a 1.7% increase in percentage of body water. I have the metabolic age of a 22 year old down from that of a 29 year old. I am actually 33 years old. My visceral fat (fat stored around your organs) went from a 3 rating to a 2 rating. That's the stats but how do i feel. I feel thinner and my abs look better! I think my energy and recovery are about the same. The only negative part of this so far has to be that there are definitely times when I feel hungry, sometimes even after I just ate. To clarify that I am not starving but I am not eating to the point where I feel really satisfied all day long either. I can see where long term that could be mentally draining. I am please with the results so far especially since I still didnt get a change to read my zone book and I haven't received my vegetarian zone recipe book either. I really look forward to learning from both of those about how to do this better. For month one I think I did a decent job at it. I didn't really feel the need to have cheat meal yet. That being said this is the first time in my life where I really felt like I was a on a "diet". I've never been so structured about my nutrition and that is saying a lot and I thought I had a pretty clean diet going into this. I never had a hard time transitioning to a vegan lifestyle and I didn't really have an issue doing the zone so far but it is a more controlled way of eating compared to what I did before fpr sure. Do I think it is better? I am honestly not sure yet. Why? Certainly it is good from an endurance athletes perspective of not having to drag more body weight around a course as long as the power to weight ratios are the same or improving. But can't say I saw dramatic performance results from it yet. Will I continue to do it? at this point yes I will continue to do it. It will be beneficial to really lean out more and see what happens. What I am looking for mostly is the performance to change.

breakfast 1 cup soymilk, 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup blueberries, 3 mac nuts, vega sport performance protein
mint tea
snack - 2 scoops vega wfo w/coconut water and 2 tbsp ground flax
lunch - 6 oz grit tofu, 36 stalks asaparagus, 3 almonds
lemongrass tea
dinner - 6 oz tofu, 1 red pepper, 1 corn tortilla 1/3 cup onion, 3 tbsp avocado, 1/2 cup salsa
chamomile lemon tea

No comments:

Post a Comment