Wednesday, July 6, 2011

i needed to read this one...

bike - right leg only on trainer - 30 minutes of 1 min on 1 min off. the knee was feeling good this morning and i was really wanting to test it out on the bike but i was a good girl and didn't and that was tough. At this point I don't want to do anything that is going to set this process back. My knee is feeling better than it did but it is not ready to go yet and i know it. basically but it is not completely symptom free all of the time yet. But the good news is that there are times when it is so that is much better than where it was at when it basically hurt to breathe.

cf wod - AMRAP 20 minutes of
10 Overhead Press @ 35
10 leg lifts
got 18 rounds.

I warmed up using 45 lb but i know that wasn't going to be able to keep that moving for the whole 20 minutes i ended up doing less weight and it was a good decision. the first 5 minutes i was flying through the wod and i was pumped because i wanted to get 20 rounds. I was doing pretty well through 10 minutes. after 10 minutes the rounds started taking me longer to complete and the last 3 or 4 minutes was really rough on the shoulders. but 2 really good wods 2 days in a row to be happy about.


the following is from terenzo bozzone's blog and it really hit home with me so i am reposting it to my blog. Basically because I have been beating myself up about this injury. I hate being stuck home with ice on my knee while it is gorgeous weather and the actual racing season is here. i have been missing races I would have done had I not being injured and I am also not even going out and doing fun training on my bike or running. overall it is not a good deal. but it is what it is and i don't have to like it.


In injury strikes, there is no quick fix, or short cut to recovery. Simple as that. Each injury needs to be seen by a professional and treated appropriately. Doing so will result in the best way to recovery.
There now I have got that off my chest, time to talk about what I want to talk about.
Knowing the above is important. Being told to rest when rest is needed is tough for those where exercise and pushing our body to the limits is as much a part of us as the blood flowing through our veins. This drive in the sporting arena is what is needed to be the best, but it is also what causes us to make poor choices when an injury is involved.
If you are reading this blog, then the message I am trying to get across to you is to beware of that tunnel vision drive towards your goal.
How many times do you see athletes overtraining, running despite being told not to, pushing beyond professional advice. We have all done, I have done it. Do we think we are smarter than the sports doctor/physio telling us we can’t run for 2 weeks, no, but it’s our drive that leads us to ignore the advice and ask too much of our body.
You may have gotten away with doing so once, maybe twice, but your are walking a fine line, are you seriously willing to risk your dreams over a poor choice when it came to listening to advice from a professional.
We all wish we were bullet proof, at times we think we are, but we are not. Realising this can be tough, but once we accept that to achieve our goals we need to look after our body (physically and mentally!)
Yes it’s a setback having to take a month or more off running, maybe miss your next race. But in the long scheme of things I would rather do that, get my injury fully recovered so I can push to the limits again and reach my goal. The other option is, train through the injury, do things that you have been advised not to. Why not race the race despite the pain. Firstly you will never achieve what you want to achieve this way, and at some point the injury will catch up with you, and by this time you have turned a 1 month recovery process into a yearlong process or even ruined your chance for good.
I know what you are thinking, I have heard this all before. You should have, but I’m telling you again. We are a mentally tough and driven breed us sporting athletes so to think clearly when it comes to injury we need to have this idea drilled into our brain, so when that decision comes to know when to stop and listen to the advice, we take it!

I feel like I’m almost telling you off whilst writing this blog if you are someone that can relate to this scenario, and I believe almost all of us can. I don’t wish to do so, but I am passionate about this topic and its importance, and I hate to dreams lost, goals never reached, bodies broken down to a fragment of what they could have been all due a poor decision with regards to injuries.

Yes it is easier said than done. On a personal note, I myself have an Achilles injury, and many of us no how serious these can be. I have just had a month off no running, and it has been hard to deal with. But I am aware of the importance in proper recovery, and at the same time am aware that proper treatment will mean I can reach my goal of becoming the Ironman World Champion in the future. There is still a longer road to recovery for my Achilles, but I will get though it and have it back to 100% in no time. I am also lucky to still be able to swim and bike so ill be working hard in those areas.

Good luck, train smart, recover when needed, and make smart choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment