Saturday, February 5, 2011

watts up!

had my first class with the pro today. Mostly this class was "test time". he wanted to get some numbers on us and also we talked about form a bit. He wanted to spend time watching each of us ride on our bikes just to see our form. There was a lot of easy spinning while he talked about form and efficiency. There were a few 30 seconds to a minute intervals to get warmed up for what he called "the tests" which were 2 rounds of all out effort for 8 minutes each. he wanted to get my avg speed and cadence for those efforts so he can see the gains over the upcoming weeks. Next class is supposed to me much more in depth. One thing I found really helpful and surprising was he actually said don't just sit down on your bike and grab the handlebars. You need to setup as if you are setting up underneath a barbell. (now your speaking my language) The form is the same. Your sticking your ass out, getting your back in a good alignment so it doesn't get sore in the lower region as you fatigue and your putting your legs in their most powerful position to push your bike. Your opening your chest to be able to really breathe. just as in weightlifting rounding the back on the bike is a bad thing. It does nothing good for your form or efficiency. You need to train yourself to ride this way even when your tired. Another thing he was big on was keeping the knees in line with the pedals. Any movement off to the side is a loss of efficiency. And the usual don't hold tension in the upperbody. He is really big into the 90 cadence range of riding. Anything higher is too much spinning and anything lower is hard to sustain the power over a longer effort. On my tests I stayed really consistent. #1 I rode 2 miles at an avg speed of 15. #2 - I rode 1.99 miles for an avg speed of 14.9. I am happy with the consistency I am not happy with the output but it is probably pretty accurate for where my riding is at right now. We only get better from here. I am curious to see how the rest of the classes go.

CF wod -
10 rounds of
10GHD situps
10 back extensions
(not for time)

5 rounds of
20 Kettlebell Cleans - 26 lb(10 an arm)
20 pushups
time 7:44

I had to pick my cf wod today to protect my hand which is really raw and bleeding from yesterdays tear. I also wanted to be careful with my foot as that is still a little sore. I wore gloves for the cleans (which i hate) and I kept the weight lighter to keep it safer for the foot.

meal 1 - vega wfo w.coconut water
meal 2 - tempeh, red peppers, kale, onions, daiya
meal 3 - clif builder bar
meal 4 - grit tofu, broccoli, 2 slices hemp bread w/peanut butter

No comments:

Post a Comment